How to Buy Cryptocurrency in Serbia
Buying cryptocurrency in Serbia
As Serbia’s law on digital assets goes into effect, the country has started the process of regulating the crypto industry. According to this law, cryptocurrency service providers are required to get a license and activities like trading and mining are now legal. The law came into effect in December 2020, with the publication of the country’s official gazette. A set of amendments regarding tax regulation of digital assets were also adopted by the Serbian parliament. This law applies to digital assets, all of which are separated into two groups – virtual currencies and digital tokens. Digital assets are described as digital records of value which can be digitally purchased, sold, transferred and exchanged and be used for investment purposes or as an exchange medium. The authorities responsible for overseeing the crypto industry are the National Bank of Serbia and the Serbian Securities Commission. Stablecoins are also acknowledged and mining is legalized.
As of 20/03/2021
These exchanges all accept customers from Serbia. While they broadly offer the same services and you can buy cryptocurrency at all of them, there can be differences in transaction fees, security, verification requirements, deposit methods and features, as shown below
Kraken has a good reputation for security and protection of your funds and operates across the USA (except NY), Canada, the EU and Japan
- It can be used to trade against fiat options
- Robust security measures
- Free SEPA deposits in Europe
- Not a very beginner-friendly interface.
- No card deposit options
Based in Singapore and registered in the British Virgin Islands, Bybit is a P2P cryptocurrency exchange offering perpetual futures products with 100:1 leverage. Bybit can process 100k transaction per second which is a great feature for leveraged trading.
- Advanced and secure technology
- Anonymous accounts
- Attractive trading bonuses
- Very low fees
- Limited asset coverage
- No option instruments
Based in Vienna, Austria Bitpanda specializes in buying & selling Bitcoins within the Eurozone. Bitpanda is suitable for both novice & pro traders with high-end security features and servers.
- Beginner-friendly with a wide variety of payment options
- It supports fiat to crypto and cash purchase
- 30+ digital assets including gold and silver.
- Supports IBAN to convert euros into digital currency.
- Fees are not stated clearly rather it is included in price.
- Not available worldwide.
Operating since 2012, Bitfinex has a huge range of coins and trading pairs, a good user interface and low trading fees.
- Very low trading fees
- Large range of coins and trading pairs
- High liquidity
- Slow account verification
- Two major hacks
Changelly allows you to trade cryptocurrency without registration or verifying the identity through KYC. Being a non-custodial exchange, Changelly doesnâ€™t require you to keep any deposits. The platform also works as a fiat-to-crypto gateway.
- Non-custodial exchange
- Great way to switch altcoins
- Doesnâ€™t require extensive KYC
- 2FA security and high exchange limit
- A high transaction fee of 0.5%
- Unclear owners
- Sometimes their service is quite slow
Poloniex is a centralized cryptocurrency exchange that started its journey back in January 2014. The platform offers margin trading, spot trading and margin lending
- No verification required
- Low fees
- Margin trading and lending options
- Not regulated
- No Fiat deposits
- No US users
OKEx is the second-largest cryptocurrency exchange in the world by volume. It posts over $2 billion in trades daily and has over 400 trading pairs.
- Good range of coins
- DEX trading
- No hacking history
- Not available in US
- KYC required
Founded in 2017, KuCoin has already managed to establish itself as â€śThe Peopleâ€™s Exchange.â€ť With 200+ cryptocurrencies and more than 400 markets, it has become one of the hubs for cryptocurrency trading.
- Vast selection of altcoins
- Ability to stake & earn crypto yields
- Robust security features
- No forced KYC checks
- No fiat currency deposits
- Trading volume is low
Coinmama was formed in Slovakia in 2013. As a user, you are not allowed to exchange cryptocurrencies with other users on this platform. Instead, you will be trading cryptocurrencies with Coinmama directly which makes your transactions more secure.
- Receive coins to your wallet instantly.
- High limits for buying bitcoin
- Faster customer service
- High levels of security
- No option for trading with other users
- Higher fees
- No mobile app
Bittrex is a veteran US-based cryptocurrency exchange launched in 2013. Its has Worldwide availability, comprehensive mobile app, high liquidity and low fees.
- Strong security features
- Faster transaction & withdrawals
- Compliant with US laws
- Inexpensive bank card deposits
- No leveraged margin trading
- Intrusive verification process
- Unexplained closure of account